Tuesday, July 13, 2010

'no man is an island'

Something I came across on LJ:

http://community.livejournal.com/freewriters/3361453.html

Although I liked the first bit, I can't say I agree with it at all towards the end-I thought the writer might have been being ironic, but it seems not the case.

While sometimes I, and I guess many of us who've been through breakups, arguments, and other negative experiences with our fellow human beings wish that life would be so much easier if we were asocial, the reality of it is that the kind of society (if we could call it that) where every man is an island if you will, would not be feasible or indeed, desirable. Think about a world where nobody cares if somebody is dying in front of them, or gives a damn if we're sick, or a world where charity organisations don't exist. I don't think high IQ robots could reproduce human empathy. Also, there's the issue of how humans will reproduce-if we don't care about each other then how will babies be born or raised?

Then again, if robots replace a good chunk of various staff and service, and babies are born through artifical means, maybe? I'm reminded of Wall-E.

No comments:

Post a Comment